Friday, September 26, 2014

Week 6 Essay: Japanese Fairy Tale Unit Assessment





This week, I read the Japanese Fairy Tales Unit. I really enjoyed the stories in this unit because they were much more positive than the units that I had previously read. In my previous units, there were stories involving rape, murder, betrayal, and other really negative aspects. However, in this unit, although there were hints of negative characteristics, the stories had an overall positive tone. I would say my only regret is that the stories in this unit did not help my goals for the class, specifically my storybook. My story book is about creatures in mythology, and there were not many stories I could have used from this unit and certainly not any I could have written a post on my storybook site for. My favorite story was The EnviousNeighbor. I did my storytelling post over this story because I liked it so much. This story is about a dog who helps his owners by giving them riches and punishes their envious neighbor when he tries to take advantage of his owners. There are many sad things that occur in this story, but it ends with a happy ending and has positive undertones. I was not sure what to expect from this unit, but I was pleasantly surprised after reading. I noticed that a majority of the stories taught a moral of sorts. For example, The Envious Neighbor taught me not to be envious, The Maiden with the Wooden Helmet taught me not to covet beauty, and The Stonecutter taught me to be thankful for what I have. If anyone is debating on reading this unit, I would definitely recommend it, depending on the focus for your storybook. Even if your storybook is not related, it would be a good unit to read and definitely has good stories that will give you a smile.

Photo: Japanese Flag


No comments:

Post a Comment