Monday, September 29, 2014

Reading Diary Week 7: West African Folktales

West African Folktales

How We Got the Name “Spider Tales”
This story is similar to other stories I’ve read in the fact that the main character deceives others for personal gain. I feel that when Spider gets back, all of these items will be there and be upset, and it will not end well for Spider. I’m surprised this didn’t actually happen.

How Wisdom Became the Property of the Human Race
Father Anansi is arrogant. I don’t like him much. I like that his son was wiser than he was. It reminds me of the time in every boy’s life when they surpass their father at something and this usually does not sit well with the father.

Anansi and Nothing
Are all of these Anansi characters the same person? I am curious as to why Anansi and Nothing were friends when they had different social classes. I imagine that in the time this story is set in, that would not be common. I like that this story reminds you not to judge a book by its cover. I had no idea this story would tell me about the reasoning behind children crying over nothing, but that makes so much sense in context! I was pleasantly surprised.

Thunder and Anansi
I wonder if he was successful on the 7th attempt because 7 is a holy number. Thunder was so generous to give unlimited food to Anansi. I don’t like that this man was so greedy that he let his children and wife starve in front of his eyes. Although his wife gave everyone food and the pot melted, she did good for all of the people in her village. Thunder showed sympathy once again, but was not really sympathetic and gave Anansi a stick that beat him.

Why the Lizard Moves His Head Up and Down
I am always astonished at the creative ways the characters in these stories solve their problem, and make it seem so easy! I feel that the lizard will use the information Anansi gave him (the names), and take them as wives. Pouring boiling water into Lizard’s mouth was a little harsh! The end of this story is so sad!

Tit for Tat
The family was starving again, because of Anansi in the previous story! I can’t blame his son for not telling him where he was getting the food. I really don’t like Anansi. He is much too greedy. I like the his son is smart and able to trick him. I was excited about when Anansi promised to refrain from his evil tricks, but the last sentence ruined that.

Why White Ants Always Harm Man’s Property
This spider is very strong. This story is so sad! I was shocked to read the ending.

The Squirrel and the Spider
Poor squirrel. L All of the animals in this story are selfish except the squirrel, who got no justice.

Why We See Ants Carrying Bundles as Big as Themselves
I hope after this story no other animals believe Anansi or help him. The poor ant had to carry Anansi’s burden for the rest of his life.

Why Spiders are Always Found in Corners of Ceilings
Anansi is once again going to let his family starve?! Why would they still claim him as family? I enjoyed that he was caught by his son.

The Grinding-Stone that Ground Flour by Itself
I liked that this story ended in the “death” of Anansi in a way which he deserved.
The Grinding Stone that Ground Flour by Itself

The Moon and Stars
A dragon is in this story, and that surprised me. I like that Kweku Tsin is so wise and clever as opposed to his father. Why did the dragon need to climb the ladder? I thought dragons could fly. Wow, the reasoning behind him becoming the sun is interesting. I like that his father is now dull and powerless without him.

How the Tortoise Got its Shell
I was not sure what to expect with this story. The details seemed to be unrelated until reaching the end. I like that he was restored to life because he was so faithful to his master. I really liked the ending.

The Hunter and the Tortoise
I like that the hunter was so enveloped by the music. I love harps. I don’t understand why the characters in these stories are so unhappy with their lives and don’t honor their promises. The hunter met his end when he refused to keep his promise to the tortoise, who used that as a lesson to the people gathered to see her.

The Leopard and the Ram
I find it funny that neither ever suspected anything except fairies in the building of his house. I think it is weird that the leopard wouldn’t just ask the ram about how he obtained the meat, especially after agreeing to live with one another and getting along so well. I also thought it sad that the leopard ran when the ram slipped, and wouldn’t listen to his friend.

King Chameleon and the Animals
I like the democratic-type society in the story between the animals. Hahahaha. I love that the chameleon just grabbed onto the hare in order to win the race. This made me giggle. I can understand why none of the animals wished the chameleon to be king.

Elephant and Wren
To my understanding, Spider is Anansi. You can see he has not changed in his mischief. He once again was going to let his family stay hungry. I wish his family would have received dinner and NOT Spider. Unfortunately, they all had no dinner that day. Once again, the family is punished by his selfish ways.

The Ungrateful Man
I feel like the man will be the traitor that the hunter will mix with the snake poison antidote. I was right. I think this was a good end for the traitor. I don’t understand human nature sometimes. But, I am happy that the kind hunter was spared in the end and rewarded.

Why Tigers Never Attack Men Unless They Are Provoked
This is a beautiful story of friendship. They are unlikely friends, but remain that even when disaster befalls both of them. I loved this story so much.

How Mushrooms First Grew
I like that the men knew that being a highway robber was wrong and it brought them troubled thoughts, so they chose other methods to repay their debts. I don’t like that the bird decided to sell its babies to pay off the debt. I like that in all of the stories the ants are wise creatures. This isn’t a characteristic I would have given to ants, so it really caught me off guard.

Farmer Mybrow and the Fairies
This story was just odd. Why would the fairies do all of the work for him? I do think it is sad that the wife simply answered a question and ruined everything. She had no way of knowing that would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment