Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1 Overview

Instead of choosing individual stories, I chose to select different units that I think will be of most interest to me. I chose them for a variety of reasons outlined below (in no particular order):

Selection 1:
I think one of the most interesting to me will be the Middle East Unit. I study Arabic here at the University of Oklahoma and really enjoy the culture and the legends. I took an Arab Culture class last semester that was based on literature that was interesting, but I think this will be much more fun.

Selection 2:
 Another unit I think will be most interesting is the European Unit. My ancestors were primarily European, so it will be interesting to become more accustomed to their myths and legends. I am currently obsessed with Dante’s Inferno, which is in this unit. I just started reading Dante’s Inferno this summer, but am very excited to further my reading in this class. I also really adore the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson, which happen to be in this section, as well.

Selection 3:
Perhaps one of the most exciting units to me is the Classical Unit. I have always been obsessed with Greek and Roman mythology, and this unit has stories that I remember researching and learning about from my adolescence. This might be my favorite unit before we even start because I love Greek and Roman history so much.

Selection 4:

A unit that I have a newfound interest for is the Biblical Units. I was baptized almost 3 years ago and accepted Jesus into my life almost 4 years ago. I am still very new in my faith, and haven’t been active in church since I was baptized. I have a great interest in biblical stories, though. I particularly am interested in stories about saints and their role in mythology and folklore. So, this unit will be very interesting for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment