Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Reading Diary Week 11: Nursery Rhymes Unit

Nursery Rhymes  unit

Tales: I love rhymes and really liked reading this story. Why would someone steal children just to drop them in the woods? I think I've heard the "There was a Crooked Man" rhyme before. The Simple Simon reminds me of the J Wellington Wimpy cartoon. Hahaha, the "Three Wise Men of Gotham" makes me laugh. Mother Goose rode on a goose? An egg of pure gold? Is this the Jack and the Beanstalk story? The note for the antisemitism is so true! Is the "Little Jack Horner" story the same as "Little Miss Muffet"? 

Proverbs: I don't understand the "If Wishes Were Horses". Hmmm. The hours of sleep riddle was intriguing. My friend posted the poem about the wind and fishing on facebook the other day. I think "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise is in the Farmer's Almanac. I have heard many of these phrases before. I had no idea where they came from. 

Nursery Rhymes: Songs, Part 1: I’m going to begin writing pieces of stories I think I can include in my storytelling post this week. I am going to attempt to rhyme. Met an old man clothed in leather, asked me “how do you do” over and over. My father died, left me six horses. I sold my horses and bought me a cow. Sold my cow and bought me a calf. Sold my calf bought me a cat, sold my cate bought me a mouse who carried fire in his tail and burned down my whole house. Little Bo Peep. This version of London bridge is different than the one I heard growing up.

Nursery Rhymes: Songs, Part 2: I looked up what a carrion crow is and looks like, they’re pretty. Three Blind Mice is exactly how I learned it in my childhood. I love that rhyme. “Cold and raw the north wind doth blow, bleak in a morning early; all the hills are covered with snow, and winter’s now come fairly”.

Riddles: I hate riddles. Most of the time, I can’t understand them, even if I know what the answer is. I do understand the egg riddle, though. It is both a riddle and has beautiful imagery. Humpty Dumpty is in this section. I like the teeth and gums riddle, it is interesting. I haven’t heard it before.

Paradoxes: The man of Thessaly was funny.

Charms and Lullabies: Peter Piper. I loved the Matthew, Mark, Luke and John poem. I wrote it down so I can say it before I go to bed. The Hushy baby poem is so incredibly cute. I love it. Hush-a-bye baby. There is another poem called rock-a-bye baby that I could use for my storytelling post.

Games: Jack be nimble. Thumbkin reminds me of Rumpelstiltskin for some reason. I had no idea that Hickory Dickory dock was a rhyme to choose who is “it” in tag or hide and seek. This Little Piggy. “Ride a cock-horse to Banbury Cross, to see and old lady upon a white horse; rings on her fingers, and bells on her toes, and so she makes music wherever she goes”. Use How Many Miles to Babylon in storytelling. I wonder what the story of the blackbirds named Jack and Jill has to do with the regular story of Jack and Jill.

Jingles: The dame who lost her shoe…. Loses her shoe too much. Awe, I love the hey diddle diddle rhyme. Little Tommy Lin sounds like a psychopath. I like the word play with the humble-bee.

Love and Matrimony: This section has so many of the rhymes I know from childhood. “There was a little boy and a little girl” can be used for storytelling, as well. Were walking out one Sunday…. Tomorrow will be Monday.

Natural History, Part 1: “In February, when green leaves begin to spring, little lambs do skip like fairies, birds do couple, build, and sing”.

Natural History, Part 2: Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Accumulative Stories I love accumulative stories. I had no idea what they were called, though. All of these were so interesting. If I was that skilled, I would write one for my storytelling post.

Relics: Oh my gosh! I didn’t know the origin of “What Are Little Boys Made Of?” until now! That is so great. I remember hearing this when I was growing up. Boys and girls used it to tease one another. I could use this in my story-telling post. Rain Rain Go Away was also in this section, but I had no idea it had a third line.

No comments:

Post a Comment