Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Week 9 Reading Diary

Eskimo Folk Tales Unit


The Coming of Men, a Long, Long While Ago

I can’t imagine living in complete darkness all the time. I wonder if the fact that fire used to burn has anything to do with “firewater”. The scenes described in this story are terrifying. The earth being so overcrowded, no one dying, getting so old you are unable to walk, see, or lie down. I thought it was a nice touch that everyone who dies becomes a star in the heavens.

Nukúnguasik, who Escaped from the Tupilak

This story was kind of interesting, but also pretty boring. I don’t think I would need to read this one again because I didn’t gain anything from it.

The Woman who had a Bear as a Foster-son

I don’t know how its possible for a frozen bear to come to life, but it is a heartwarming story. I’m glad th woman decided to save the bear. I loved that the bear became accustomed to playing with human children and was loved by the townspeople. The ending of the story was so sad. It really reminded me of the movie Fox and the Hound by Disney where the mother is forced to let go of the animal she loves and force him into the wild.

Qalagánguasê, Who Passed to the Land of Ghosts

Why did everyone in his life die? And how do people die from eating sea weed? He was paralyzed from the waist down? It would be incredibly difficult to see the ghosts of your dead family. I wonder why they only come out when he is alone. Why would the people he lived with treat him so poorly? I think it is sad that his family turned him into a ghost, but good that he was able to be happy again.

Isigâligârssik

Why did the wizard take his wife away? This story is so odd.

The Insects that Wooed a Wifeless Man

He oversleeps much like I do. Noseless people? I feel like this man molested the girls in the town. I wonder what the fire man gave to him to help him wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment