Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 10 Reading Diary: American Indian Fairy Tales Unit

American Indian Fairy Tales Unit

Iagoo, The Story-Teller

I love hearing stories about when there was magic in the world. I like that Iagoo was so good with kids, making them necklaces, and bow and arrows. Is this setting the story up so that Iagoo tells all the other stories in this unit? That would be really cool!
Iagoo, the Story-Teller 

Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind

The mean old man “North Wind” reminds me of Ice King off Adventure Time. I wonder why he wanted the entire earth covered in ice and snow. Land of the Sunflower sounds like such a pleasant place. I love sunflowers. I find it curious that the author portrays the North Wind in such a negative light. I love the imagery used in this story. The fishing described by South Wind reminds me of ice fishing in Alaska. I can’t believe his friends just left him there if they thought he would die!
Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind 

Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind (Cont.)

Wait, Shin-ge-bis is a mortal and he believes North Wind to be a mortal? Shin-ge-bis is smart to realize that he can’t stand the cold, but that North Wind can’t stand the heat. It’s interesting that the story discusses how people found out that snow is an insulator. Shin-ge-bis is so sassy.
Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind (Cont.) 

The Little Boy and Girl in the Clouds

This story sounds terrifying. A hill growing so rapidly like magic and carrying children up into the clouds? I can’t imagine a time when all animals got along, but would love it! This story uses so much imagery! I have to agree with the disapproval of keeping animals in cages and behind fences. I think they need to be free to roam where they wish. After all, it was their land first. I love that in this story all of the animals and the people get along and are able to live in peace and harmony. I think it’s funny that the beaver taught the kids how to swim.
The Little Boy and Girl in the Clouds 

The Little Boy and Girl in the Clouds (Cont.)

I can’t imagine how terrified the children’s parents must have been. I didn’t know coyotes could track. I mean, I know they hunt, but tracking is different. This story reminds me of the story about how Devil’s Tower was formed. How all of the animals joined together is so similar to how humans join together in a time of crisis (like Oklahomans after the Moore tornado). This ends in another “don’t judge a book by its cover” moral. The kids were asleep for over a month?
The Little Boy and Girl in the Clouds (Cont.)

No comments:

Post a Comment